Thursday, July 14, 2016

Do Not Be Anxious About Anything





While I was out today, I saw this ring with Philippians 4:6 inscribed - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God." It was my size, it was 50% off so I bought it. Little did I know how important this purchase would be today.


I'm a worrier. It's what I do. I'm anxious about things that are happening. I'm anxious about things I think should be happening but aren't happening. I worry about what is to come because I don't know what to expect. Bottom line, I'm a worrier. It's something I'm working on though because an anxious mind is not very becoming and doesn't help things. I cognitively know this fact to be true. I give friends and family the same advice - don't worry about it, worrying doesn't solve anything, and as Elsa says, "Let it go..."

Tonight, I had a situation that I was worried about. I worried about the other people involved in the situation. I worried about my own actions in this situation. I did what I do - I worried. Then I felt this ring on my finger. And I remembered "in EVERYTHING by prayer...present your requests to GOD." Oh yeah, that prayer thing! So I gave it a go. As I drove for about 10 minutes, I chatted with God. I asked him for a calm heart, a wise mind, and to keep me quiet when I needed to be quiet. I asked for peace, wisdom, and for more peace, for all involved. I asked God to take my worries. I told God I didn't know what was going to happen and may HIS will be done. I didn't make any promises "if you do this than I'll do that" or whine "why is this happening!?!?!?!?" (although, I've done enough of that before too!) I knew I needed PEACE to help me get through this. I took a deep breath and thanked God for all He has done and went on with things.

I got to my destination and knew, felt, that I wasn't alone. I felt like someone had my back. And "someone" did. Jesus! He was there for ME, to help me through this. Even though there are others that have more pressing issues, I knew He was there for me. I asked Him and I trusted that He would be with me - AND HE WAS. I stayed calm. God quieted my tongue when it needed to stay quiet. He gave me wisdom to share when it was time for me to do so. The situation was difficult, I felt all sorts of emotions going through it. But I did not feel anxious about my part. Why? Because I asked God to take away that anxiety. And you know what? He did!

Now, the conclusion of this situation didn't end with singing birds, horses riding off in the sunset, while a song started playing out of nowhere. But that's not what needed to happen at this time. I may have wanted things to go a different way but it's not my choice. I don't know what the sequel will be, what the next episode entails. That's not for me to know - I'm only human. All that future stuff? That's for God to know. And that's okay. God has given me life and has allowed life to happen. He has given me free will to make choices and to experience the consequence that come with them. Today, I choose to pray. And God answered. He was there with me and I felt it. I didn't worry. I wasn't anxious.


And there is even more to this story. As I went home, for another 10 minute drive, I listened to the radio. The song "Just Say Jesus" by 7eventh Time Down came on the radio. Wow. Jesus was a DJ tonight too. "...When you don't know what to say, Just say Jesus, There is power in the name, The name of Jesus, If the words won't come, Cause you're too afraid to pray, Just say Jesus..." I said Jesus, and guess what, He was there. "...Whisper it now or shout it out, However it comes out, He hears your cry, Out of nowhere He will come - you got to believe it, He will rescue you..." Yep. He will rescue you. No, there is no phone number, no app for that. You just have to say it. Just say Jesus.


But Jesus wasn't done being the DJ tonight. Nope. As I drove, I listened.  I thanked God for all he has done for me - not only tonight but for everything.   Jesus played Chris Tomlin's "Good Good Father." As I sang along, I continued giving thankful praise to Him, our Good Good Father. "...I've seen many searching for answers far and wide, But I know we're all searching, For answers only you provide, Cause you know just what we need, Before we say a word..." That is SO TRUE. He DOES know just what we need! And He will provide just what we need. God is good, oh so good. "...You're a Good, Good Father, It's who you are, it's who you are, it's who you are, And I'm loved by you, It's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am..."

This situation I dealt with tonight wasn't even about me. But, as I told you before, I'm a worrier. Praying to our Good, Good Father brought me peace and wisdom. He gave me a calm mind. He took care of me. I asked Him and He did it. I didn't ask Him for the singing birds, inspirational instrumental as the ending credits rolled. I asked Him for His will to be done.


Prayer.  It works.  Do not be anxious, Just Say Jesus.  Amen.

2 comments:

Candis Daugherty said...

Great "easy" truth...it's just that application part that we always seem to struggle with! Thanks for sharing and the reminder!! This continues to be one of my main life verses!!

mommy of 2 said...

Thank you Candis for your comment. 😃