Thursday, April 19, 2012

Inspiration

Inspiration.  It comes in many different forms and from many different places.  Some people are inspiring.  Some situations are inspiring.  Big or small.  Happy or sad.  Inspiration.

I have had different inspiration come in my life.  Some of the biggest inspirations have come from the smallest people.  One of my first jobs was working at a day care center during the summer.  There was a two year old girl, named Kayla, who went there.  Only occasionally, because she was sick.  Really sick.  She had cancer.  I can't remember what kind of cancer, only that she was one of the most beautiful, sweetest little girls I had ever seen.  As the summer went on, she spent less and less time at day care.  By the end of the summer she was gone.  Cancer had shortened her life, taken her from her parents.  I remember Kayla as a smiling, round and fuzzy headed little girl.  I was inspired back then and learned that every person I would ever meet would teach me something.  That every life, no matter how long or how short it is, means something.  That I could learn something from everyone I will ever meet.

Another very small person I was inspired by was Auston.  He was a student of mine when he was 4 years old.  When Auston was born, he weighed 15 ounces.  Less than a pound.  He shouldn't have survived.  He shouldn't have lived to see his first, second, third, or even his fourth birthday.  But he did.  And he was learning.  I was inspired by his desire to learn, to play on the playground, to spend time with his friends.  But then something terrible happened.  There was an accident at his home and he died.  He died.  I was devestated.  I will never forget Auston.  Never.  I learned so much from him in the short time I knew him.  I was inspired to look beyond size, to look beyond where a person comes from or how they came into the world.

The inspirations to become a teacher came from knowing Kayla and Auston and many other children.  It came from those who were teachers in my life.  The inspiration came from my mom who taught many many children throughout her life. 

There's plenty of other inspirations I've had come into and through my life.  Inspirations to do BIG things and to do little things.  I'm inspired to write on this blog by other friends who also keep blogs.  I'm inspired to be a conscious eater and an active person by other friends who have shared their journeys to be healthy with me.  Sometimes, it's a rainbow in the sky - an inspiration to keep on going and never give up.  What inspires you?

Inspiration.

No comments: